Introducing and discussing selected citizen science initiatives, this session will show that citizens can provide valuable and detailed information about pollution. We will highlight how citizen science can contribute to policy making & monitoring and what can be done to improve the uptake of citizen science in environmental monitoring. Lessons can also be learned from successful citizen science in other domains, e.g. biodiversity.
- Stéphane Isoard, Head of the Water and Marine Group, European Environment Agency (EEA)
- Hester Volten, Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM),
- Ana Cristina Cardoso, Project Manager, Scientific Research, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Steffen Fritz, Programme Director, Strategic Initiatives Programme, International Institute for Applied System Analysis (IIASA)
- Sven Schade, Project Leader, Digital Economy, Joint Research Centre, European Commission